13 February, 2006

28Nov.#2

28 November 2005 @ 06:42 pm
about coachings
Also-
After a good audition last night, yes, I got home very late from the city. Yes, I was extremely tired today and barely rolled out of bed for my 9:30 class (got there at 10). I usually have my coaching at 11, but today switched with someone for an 11:45. I feel like I need to impress this specific coach, as she has some strong ties in the operatic community, and I want to do well by her. I have had amazing, I mean, amazing coachings with her. It all comes out right vocally. I'm acting the crap out of it, and it's really what I would want to show someone professionally. Today- not so much. And I feel badly because she will also be at a very-big-named-program audition that I'm doing in two weeks. And this repertoire I'm coaching with her is on my list for them.

What is it about vocal growth that stunts me?
A year ago, two years ago, it was like I was the golden-child of my package of 5. I could do no wrong, it was so easy. I also sounded like I was about 17 years old.
Now I'm older, have done heavier roles (still not SO appropriate, but it's a learning experience I suppose), and for some reason my voice doesn't want to sing my old arias the same way. It sounds good in my "new" supported, voice, but on SOME notes (ie D through G- passagio-ish), my old "this used to be easier for you" technique wants to have a fight with my new "work on legato and connecting, but OH! YIKES! This D will always stick out" technique.
What to do?
Can't sing like a little girl again because now I breathe and support.
I don't color. I know that.
I don't darken, I know that too.
But I'm still getting the "why don't you try lightening it up just a bit" so it doesn't go "FLAT!". And no, Not flat. I'm being too hard on myself. Not even under pitch. Just a quarter tone or splinter of NOT the center of the tone.
Heard by coaches and hawks.
Probably not anyone else 50 feet away from me when I'm singing on a stage.
Still, it's a problem and there has to be a remedy. I hope.

What is it?
Not sure yet, but this is not the week to find out or play around, as I have one audition on Wednesday, 2 each on Friday Saturday and Sunday, and then 4 more after than.

I just hope I get myself straightened out by the time the very-big-not-gonna-say-it's-my-first-choice-but-it-kind-of-is audition.

---------g

No comments: