08 June, 2008

hot in...so hot in heeere

It's cooling off a bit now--hooray.
I've finished choosing my summer clothes.
Now it's onto summer music.
How much am I REALLY going to get learned that is 'extra' during the next 5 weeks?

I have some arias that I'd like to revisit and some arias that I'd like to learn in order to choose a NEW starting aria for this coming audition season.

The choices in NO particular character order are
Fire
Fairy Godmother
Mireille
Dalinda
Tytania (la blonde, not Britten)
Fiorella
Clorinda

and a few others that I'm tossing around.

In thinking about my starters of the past, the kind of repertoire that I want to represent myself in, and what else is out there, here is my reasoning for choosing any of the above arias.

Yes, I can sing soubrette. As my resume and previous experience indicates. The -ina/ettas- love them all, BUT I have more. More high, more fast, more coloratura--and so, why not search for something that shows a soubretty character (which I definitely look like), but is a more challenging sing?

Yes, I can sing bel canto. As my resume ALSO will indicate. But as my voice and age indicate, these are roles that I will grow into, and should first sing in smaller houses.
So yes, I could go the Gilda, Amina route, but, right NOW the sopranos getting hired to sing those roles are simply more lyric sounding than I am.
They have clean coloratura, but thrive on those long beautiful lines.
I thrive in the coloratura sections with as many (tasteful) added cadenzas as possible, and sing a pretty line, but I don't sound like a warm lyric doing it.

So my previous starters have fit easily into the category I'm left with:
Something higher and more coloratura-heavy than the normal soubretty or llc sound, and something that doesn't tread on the lyric side of bel canto.

Chacun le Sait with a G in the first cadenza and an F in the final one.
Durch Zartlichkeit with nothing added except attitude and a fully sung E (hey, apparently it's more rare than I had thought according to SOME behind the table)--plus it's Mozart.
Zerbinetta from so war--a little too long, but shows everything that I want to show.


I suppose I'll take all of the arias with me and see which one or two fit me the best. I already know most of them already--not close to polished, but no note banging will be necessary.

Of course what will end up happening is that the music stays unopened on my dresser for those 5 months because I'm so busy (in a good way) with rehearsing!

Suitcase number one is full, suitcase number two is well on its way, and bag of shoes (do I take the fuzzy slippers or no?) needs to be closed already so I don't decide that in addition to my WHITE cowgirl boots I also want my GREEN ones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wear a pair of cowboy boots in the car and pack the other pair.