12 July, 2007

pirate's boooooty (s) = hottt

I went to see my first live ballet tonight. Le Corsaire.
It's about PIRATES! And BOOTY! har har har....
And it was so amazing. I'm mean, I've seen clips of Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliette and Swan Lake before (ok, I've only seen swan lake clips from the movie Center Stage but STILL!), seeing it live (from the top gallery for 5 Euros) was still something spectacular.

I wish the I had binoculars to be able to see the dancers' faces (and their crazy makeup and tiaras and tutus), because their bodies from so far back were so expressive that I know it would make a huge difference to see the whole thing.

Curtain Call pic with the prima ballerina taking her bow:



It was really really cool.

The audience went crazy over the 2-3 minute solos that each dancer had. I mean crazy. They got 4 ovations at the end of the show, and after each main character had his or her dance they were bravo-ing all over the place.

I guess it's really hard to jump in the air five times in a row in a perfect circle around the stage.
They made the main "corsaire" dude, aka pirate, look like Johnny Depp from the Pirates of the Caribbean.
The evil dude (dressed in black and red), whom I shall from now on call Benvolio (the evil dude in Midsummer--kinda), always danced these evil cool dances with a girlfriend dressed like Carmen with a red scarf.

The primas wore tutus the whole time but the rest of the women were harem girls or slave girls so they were dressed in veils and little else! Some baggy pants and small tops a la Jasmine from Aladdin...you know...

It was a great experience.

In life/job/profession news, an upcoming audition. Not more to say about that except that it's going to be SO much fun since it involves the show I just sang which is my mostest favoritest moglichkeitEST (yea, I'm trying to study German but instead blogging) opera!

No comments: