10 July, 2007

Jesus, Mary, and the Saints

I visited the Alte Pinakotek today which means that I saw a lot of art work from the 13th-17th centuries, which also means that I saw a lot of art work influenced by Christian themes from the old and new testament...scratch that- ALL of the artwork I saw had those themes in one way or another, even if it was a portrait of a lady seated in a plush chair with a lapdog at her feet. IF she had grapes in the background that probably had a connection to Jesus as well- the stem from the vine, the saviour, the wine...

When I studied in Milan my Art History class went to almost every famous museum around Italy, and I learned quickly to play games with the paintings like:

Find the most evil looking cherub (there is ALWAYS one that has an evil face or is carrying a scythe instead of playing a harp)

Name that Saint based on the other symbols in the paintings (ie, Sebastian is the guy with the arrows, Catherine is beheaded, the dude in the cave with all of the skulls and the lion)

Name that century based on the formation of the women's bodies and whether Jesus looks like an adult or a child.

It's always interesting, and fun to realize that had I not taken that class, I wouldn't know that much about it or be able to play these games in the first place (well, the evil cherub game requires no previous learning).


Back in the apt. now, and debating whether to begin my German homework or study my music.
Began working on Presentation of the Rose not long ago, need to continue my work on Opera1 and Opera2 upcoming and ALSO learn three songs in Russian for my best friend's wedding that is in less than a month!!!

So maybe music now and homework later!
Ahh, the Perfekt tense, you'll just have to wait until after dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Really enjoying your blog! Congrats on your debut! Do you have advice regarding laptop adapters for Europe and for other electronics? Leaving for Austria soon, but never been before and I think it would be wise to bring the laptop!
- Thanks from a MPLS sop!