29 July, 2007

anonymity *edited*

**********************Edited to add that yes, I know that some of YOU know who I am. But I don't know that you know who I am (mostly). Therefore I can still write anonymously.
And for those of you that enjoyed that first reference to one of my favorite movies in the first line, the full quote from Lion in Winter is:


Prince Geoffrey: I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and Henry knows we know it. We're a knowledgeable family.


***********************
I received a request this morning to reveal who I am. No, not online of course, but a comment sent to my blogger email account, asking for my website and saying that of course I'd still be anonymous and not "revealed".

Now, dear reader who commented below (which as the moderator of comments, I rejected, so that your email is not known to all as well), if you are reading, please know that I have a draft email currently in my account just waiting to be "sent" to you, revealing all and requesting that you continue to respect my anonymity on this blog, even though I WILL give you the information you requested in the email.

I can't really say that I had a "first instinct" in this situation. At first I thought- no way. Then I thought- why not. Then I googled YOUR email (and perhaps found a myspace page that belongs to you)--and thought- well, if it really IS this person who commented, then why should I NOT send this person my contact information? They seem to be interested in music, have a degree in it, be pursuing higher education in 2010 for a Doctorate, and are basically out there on the internet with family, blog, pictures, etc.

That is, IF my googling was correct.

So then I started typing up the draft email giving out my info.
And then I stopped and thought, would someone want to know what my name is THAT badly, as to choose an email/blogger name SO similar to this unassuming person's profile that I found "almost" fits on myspace?

This is a music diary--not a personal life blog--so sure, it could interest other singers. They could even learn from my experiences. If they want funny reviews and fuzzy illegal stage pictures, that too. I also don't name names, programs, companies, or any one else "personal" to me in this business. Reviews of other famous singers, yes, but no one that knows me.

So what is the harm? Well, I suppose there really is no harm, except that I'll know that a reader of this blog now knows who I am. And it's not about the mystique of anonymity being gone, it's just that when I type I like to feel like it's only for myself, and not someone else that knows who I am, that can look at my website at any time and see that if I'm stressed about learning Role1 and Role2 that it's those 2 that are in my "upcoming engagements" section on my website.

So, for now, that email will just remain a draft. And I apologize for that. I may change my mind--later today, or later in the year. But until then, know that you inspired at least a 15 minute google search and personal debate of online boundaries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Stardom! Glamour! Intrigue!

;)