15 July, 2007

Best....trio.....evveeerrrr.......ahhhhhhh......

Just got back from Der Rosenkavalier. Ahhhhhh. In a great great non-stressed-out-coloratura-way!
It is just so good.

The final trio and duet get me every time. I get teary right before "Marie Theres..." and then it's pretty much sheer joy on my face until the final notes of the opera.
It's not necessarily because of one thing. The music , or the drama, or something that just moved me. It's so many things combined into one.
First, that I learned this trio very very VERY early in my singing "career" ha--ie, I was 18 years old, and this to me was just the most sublime singing that could be done. The floating, the way the lines intertwine, the text, the setting, the quiet and still that is this beautiful piece of music. Not to mention the final duet after it. Of course, I am biased, because I did write my thesis on this piece, as well as Ariadne and two Mozart pieces as well, so I would say that in some way or another I know it inside and out (including music theory!) and just have a different feeling about it. I've never seen it performed before and this was just---wow.
The sets were gorgeous, the costumes as well, and the singing was very very beautiful from everyone.

I'm learning the Presentation for an upcoming audition, and hearing it live in the theater today and seeing it and how it affected everyone onstage and watching was really special.

There is much more to post about this weekend, the extremely insanely hot weather (remember when it was 40 degrees last week and I had to buy sweaters? Now it's 90), and more, but for now, a bit of Deutch homework and then maybe another post in an hour or so.

No comments: