29 April, 2006

more concert musings

First I will say that everything was fine. Not the best, not the worst, just fine for what it was.
I have been having issues with the suspended D's in the Stetit. The Dulcissime is the easiest part. It's either because it's the first note of whatever passagio I may have developed along with the "new technique", or because of amazing allergies for the past three days, or because the stage was so dry that as soon as I walked out I felt like I was choking on dust.
Or it was because I didn't spend enough time day in and day out putting this into my voice. Rather, I relied on the fact that there were all notes in my repertoire, that are not very difficult, a learnable melody that is familiar, and that I wouldn't have to worry at all about doing something wrong. And I didn't do anything wrong, I just don't feel like it was my "best". I was prepared, but if I had been anything like Natalie Dessay who apparently will sing the same run for an hour until it's absolutely in her body, voice, soul, memory, I would have tried to prepare this more so that there was NO chance for those D's to fall a bit under at the ends of the phrases.

So the conclusion was, I am pleased...with it. Other people are more than pleased (but that's primarily because they are impressed with the Dulcissime).

-g

1 comment:

Gregory said...

I never quite understood why Dulcissime is set so awkwardly. There's no singing the actual word there, so it's apparently not a bout text, but sound. And if that's the case, why not just choose a different word. I'm sure the dress, the voice, etc., were fabulous.

Does anything really matter these days but the dress anyway? ;) You know I'm kidding!