27 April, 2006

dulciiiiiiisssssiiiiiime

Yes, the eve approaches when out of my allergetic and dried out vocal chords that lovely tune will (hopefully) bloom.
I haven't performed in many concerts as a soloist- it's been more operatic over the years, and I must say it's very different for me.
There was recently a thread on the forum about concert singing and how it's different than opera.

I think it may just be different for different people. I personally find it challenging to get into a "soloist" character unless it's a very character like piece..for example...umm...something in an oratorio where you are an angel or a child. Even in Carmina it's a young girl, giving herself, her body, her spirit, her heart away...but for 3 measures? That's SO little time! I guess in opera it's more drawn out. Yes, you need to be able to act and react on a dime, but you also usually have B sections, thematic material, repeated words in caballeta's, cadenzas and other musical innovations of opera to support you in your character's journey.

In this it seems like it's all about the voice, and the pretty face and dress.
I don't want to attract attention, I just want to be part of this wall of sound, the orchestra, the chorus, the boys choir, that is contributing to the work. Hmmm...more thought is needed. Maybe I'll have something more to say after the dress rehearsal.

-g

No comments: