16 October, 2007

new audition starter

Started with Zerbie today (from so war es mit Pagliazzo to the end) instead of my normal, very short, very coloratura, but kinda soubrette-y acting pieces.

So? How did it go? (direct quote from Iago in Aladdin)....

It went...raaaather well (another direct quote..from Jafar in Aladdin)..notice the theme.

No, actually, it went terrifically. I LOVE the piece, it lurvs me back, and it is just fun in a box with pretty wrapping paper and a nice big bow tied around the outside.

And then they asked for Fire aria- a recent and short notice resurrection.
Which ALSO went smashingly, after not having sung it for 4 years.

Me likey.
Reason I would not start with Fire even though it's a great, short coloratura piece:
Umm, you have to act like you're fire. People have many different views on how it should be done- from the balletic to personification of fire, to a hot she-devil.
I choose somewhere between she-devil and stern mommy.

Secondly, those runs, while they are coloratura and a whole lot of it-- are LOW! And that breath right before the second set of them is a quick one and then you're just a bit worried about getting through it instead of scaring a little boy/girl/mezzo out of his/her wits.

And lastly- High C? Come ON! I mean, I have at LEAST a fifth above that- really people!


So what will I begin with next audition? It changes daily. What I DO know is that I'm happy with the level of polish and comfort that I have with all of my pieces, and I know that I can start with whatever I feel like on any given day for any given panel with any given repertoire.

Yesssireeebob.

No comments: