13 September, 2006

Back in the saddle again...

Well, I made it back to new State for concert number two last Sunday, which again, went well for me. I'm glad I have somewhere to possibly return in the coming years (as singers are invited back for pretty much as long as they want) and participate in a concert with orchestra, good conducting, a great audience, and some moolah.

Back to work it was this week, with coachings by "Claude I hate you" Frenchman---not his real name, obviously! We worked on Lakme in the first class, and he mentioned the "3rd eye" in not so many words, but basically said that he didn't believe me because as beautiful as the voice was working and the technique was working, it wasn't in my eyes all the time. Sometimes it was....sometimes not.

I love when these master teachers ask the class- didn't you hear that? How different/better was that? Everyone nods enthusiastically- which is great. Except that I can't hear anything different. The only thing I did was try to make my eyes a little more playful, and perhaps play out a scene in front of my eyes as I was singing/dancing/shaking my booty/doing Tai Chi around the room while I was singing (an "I hate you Claude" direction).

So- I suppose I did good work. What did I learn? Loosen up while singing? (duh). Think nothing about technique,placement, etc...and ONLY the words (hmm, this sounds familiar, like I've blogged about it before)... So, words and eyes...and making those audience members who are paying 200 bucks to come see me, BELIEVE that I'm Lakme.

Fin for the day.
Once concert and one free dinner to go until bedtime!

-g

No comments: