13 July, 2008

that's how it's done

Last night I went to see Barbiere at Caramoor Music Festival--my last musical event before leaving the country (unless I decide to practice today which is doubtful because I got home at 2am and am exhausted right now).
I was supposed to see a certain tenor that I know performing the role of Almaviva, but unfortunately, he was rushed to the ER and OR in the past 3 days (he's totally fine now, just can't move around that easily), and another acquaintance of mine was flown in to take over the role. In 2 days. One tech, one dress, and the performance.
Oh yea, and with completely new coloratura, cadenzas, and NO CUTS.

Listening to the show and comparing it to the 2 Barbiere's I've seen, the 2 I've sung in, and the numerous ones I've heard and seen on DC or DVD, this was completely amazing.
The fioratura and coloratura on 2nd verses, the interesting V-I resolutions, the appogia's...all wowed, and made it seem like a completely new and exciting piece that I'd never heard, because I had NO idea what was going to come out of their mouths.

Everyone was to be congratulated, but above all, to see someone step in like that at the last minute was really to see professionalism and talent at its best.

I'm glad I got to experience the excitement for the evening.

Now, off to pack for REALzzz...that means not just the clothes but the .001 ounces of everything, the music choices, the book choices, the BAG choices (that alone could take an hour to figure out).

And oh yes, this has officially turned into me killing two birds with one stone, as I sent an 'update' email to a certain official at the Opera from whom I have sung before at another venue, and they are hearing me again this year.

Can you say tax write off on the flight? OH YEA!

No comments: