05 April, 2007

agent audition

Later today I have an audition for an agent who is coming to see the opera tonight.
I have never officially pursued agents, although I've certainly written about my experiences and auditions for the ones that have come here and heard the resident artists, but I do always think it's important to know who you are about to sing for.

So I went to this agent's website and noticed that on his roster (well, not his, but the company), were two young-ish sopranos who do all of the coloratura/soubrette rep. One has done two roles in the past two years that I'm going to be repeating in the next 6 months, in the exact same productions--different locations.

And one I've always followed her voice, from the US to overseas.

So what does that leave me with? Either the chance to sing my "opening" aria of this year- which is pretty much in direct "competition" with these girls--who are already managed and famous....

OR- the chance to sing my "opening" aria as something that neither of them could sing AND that is not represented on their roster:

A Zerbinetta.

Of COURSE I will not sing all 12 minutes of it.
But I'm strongly considering (and will most likely not change my mind about) beginning with the So war es mit Pagliazzo and going through to the end---
about 6 minutes or so.

And to offer queen, and other roles with the F's and "true coloratura" (Lakme) that these other girls don't have--EVEN though the rep that I would normally sing includes all of the coloratura roles that these two girls sing.

I'm never attached to my starter aria---the only reason I changed it to DurchZ this year was because I was getting sick of Chacun--even though I was getting great feedback with it.

So maybe from now on I'm moving into real coloratura-land for my openers---and they'll just have to assume that DUH since I can hit that E or F I can also sing the Mozart "maids" and other coloratura/soubrette cute borderline things.

That is, except when I audition for a program that I know will be doing Abduction in a certain city I want to be in, in a certain year and a half.

No comments: