03 September, 2007

2008 and taking care of business

Today was surprisingly productive.
Took some strides in the business of singing area.
I know, it always comes down to choices and planning, but depending on auditions and audition results, the best laid plans of mice and men...well, yea.

So I sent some update emails to colleagues.
I read more about the possibilities of returning to Europe.
I revised my materials in German.
I made a list of agents and houses that I'd want to get in touch with.

I figure if you never can really tell what will happen in the US, why should my backup plan be temping/tutoring/teaching in some big city near THE city, waiting for the next big thing to happen...when I have contacts and people interested in me returning to Europe and maybe having the opportunity to sing there as well?

I made other lists of US houses still uncast for certain roles in 2008 (at least according to operabase and websites).
I am making sure to keep options open with an open mind, to keep lines of communication open, and not to assume anything or count on anything to happen without me doing something about it.

The one thing I'm still debating about is this young artist thing.
Am I one? I'm young enough to be.
But do I want to stay inside with that "safety net"? And for how many more years?
Should I find it encouraging or discouraging that friends of mine in 5 separate summer and year round residencies said that the overwhelming majority of singers were 28 and OLDER this summer and this year?

Still to be determined on that one--as application deadlines aren't QUITE so near.
I've got about a month.

No comments: