02 March, 2007

chicago, performance, snow

Ok, in backwards order:

It's still snowing- a lot. Snow is SO much more fun when you have big white and pink fluffy snowboots, and I do!

We had a run-through this morning of the program for tomorrow night. I woke up feeling not so great and felt like I had to mark because otherwise I'd be straining and would feel the effects the next day.
Happily, though, I found that while I was marking my singing, I was not marking my performance. It's been really intimate working with our director on this, especially the Zerbinetta aria, and to get the kind of feedback that I have gotten is really rewarding, because I feel that I have put equally hard work into shaping this character onstage in such a short time.

And finally, even though it's only two days away, I haven't really thought much about my upcoming audition in Chicago on Monday.

I'll be flying in, as usual- extremely early, singing around noon, and flying out VERY early the next day to make it back for the first musical run-through of Lakme here.

My thoughts on auditioning for an "educational" type of program- even though this one is marketed as a young artist program, with a school name to back it up:
Well frankly, browsing through their current singers, it seems as if this particular place is a "holding pen" for talent, that releases its students as frequently as they get any kind of work, as long as the students have one or two roles in their operas each year.
There are many upcoming-big-named singers already here as 2nd, 3rd and 4th year "students", but from their own websites and resumes, most of those singers also seem to be working consistently in other productions throughout the year.

So of course if I were given the opportunity to join a place like this, while I wouldn't jumpat going back to school, I would also hope that my current and possible future engagements would be looked upon favorably outside of the program, and I'd be allowed to continue to pursue my normal, mainstage audition season and performances throughout my tenure there.

No comments: