12 July, 2006

post-show g'byes

It's hard to say goodbye- to friends, to acquaintances, but especially to people whom you have gotten to know over a very short time, maybe say three weeks, professionally, personally, and whom you have a relationship with. You esteem them for their talent, their spirit, what they give on stage and off, and all of a sudden, just as quickly as you were introduced to them and had to start playing opposite them, they have their final performances as mainstage artists and continue to their next destination or vacation. What are the odds you will work with them again? Well, in this business they seem pretty good. But who knows when or where that will be? You can always google their careers, follow them, wish them luck, stay in touch with monthly or seasonal emails to let them know what you're doing, how you miss them, how you see that they are doing well too, but it's a strange dynamic. Here they are, ten or more years older than you, having gone through the same type of young artist situation years back or decades back, knowing the business in and out, and you were onstage together with them--making something,...really creating.

And now it's gone.
Does that mean the "relationship" is gone too? Was it all just a collegial front for the stage and for cast relations? Well, I don't think so, and I don't think that they do either, but it's all too easy to just forget about being real people when you are at this place to work and not really create personal relationships or friendships. Even though, of course, that is what ends up happening.

So what am I trying to say?
Well, I'm trying to say that MAYBE just maybe after this program number X of mine, that I'll stay in better touch with people that I know that I care about. That it won't just be the seasonal email to say what I'm doing and hear where they are. That I'll be able to call, email, whenever I please just to check in as a person, friend, and not just a singer.

-g

No comments: