22 July, 2006

the night of the show y'all (part 2)

Yaaaaayyyyyy!
We opened tonight to a lovely audience, in great spirits, really wanting to move people- and we did- to both laughter and tears in the double bill of Suor Angelica and Schicchi.

This morning, yes, morning- I had a QOTN rehearsal for the concert performance with orchestra tomorrow night, so I was warmed up pretty high, but to sing Genevieve I had to pretty much not talk or sing for a few hours so I'd "warm down", to be able to sing over that Puccini orchestra with the E,F,G above middle C type of low notes over a forte or mf wall of sound.

I gggueesss I am pleased with the performance? I mean, I got really great and nice comments from the director, chorus master, diction coach, rehearsal pianist--they all said it was great. And added to that, my boss-to-be was there tonight and I spoke with him after the performance. He was really pleased and said my voice had grown and gotten bigger since last he heard me (audition in December), and it was sounding really great.
So yayyyyyy!

I think of my part as pretty small in this, although it is the 3rd longest part after Angelica and the Principessa---so I wasn't really paying that much attention to whether it was my best or not (funny how that happens when you're not the lead in, say, Lucia, or singing Queen or something like that)...of course it's "important"...but it doesn't feel like the show is riding on you. There is SO much less pressure, but you can still steal the show or make your mark.
Not that I'm trying to steal the show as Genevieve!!! Our Angelica was absolutely stunning, and a great gal.

That's all for tonight--must attempt to refrain from playing Textwist until all hours of the night, and try to go to sleep so I can sing queen four or five times tomorrow (including the performance).

-g

No comments: