26 January, 2009

matinee

Yesterday we had our second performance with sort of a second cast (only one role is double cast in this production).
I woke up way too early for no good reason and was feeling super tired, but got around to reviving myself with some clementines and hummus (not eaten together!) before the show, plus some chocolate from opening night that is always evil-ly lying around in the dressing room.

Everything went well again, except that again, I seem to somehow step into the hem of my dress every time I have some sort of fall onstage, and my shoe gets stuck for a second.
By the end of yesterday's performance I had about 8 safety pins replacing where the sewing line should have been at the hem. Unnoticeable because of the lace ruffle on top, but still, not ideal.
And the arm's eye ripped again.

AND I picked up food off of the stage floor and ATE it (after it fell, thankfully did NOT travel all the way to the orchestra section)---but that's just part of being flexible with whatever happens on stage.
Plus, it was a croissant. I wasn't complaining! :)

I think everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the show was over because the next-day-matinee is really something you have to rally for.
Energy, voice, tiredness, everything is affected by what happens on opening night, how much sleep you get, how many donors you talk to at the after-party, etc.

Today is our 'day off', but instead of going to the beach, I'm driving a bit north of here to do a morning coaching on some upcoming rep for the summer.

I know I won't overextend myself vocally, but being awake at 8am after two days of excited energy and little sleep is just a tad painful right now.

No comments: