07 September, 2008

I'm in a NY state of mind

As much as the whole world may be at my fingertips online, these days it seems as if everything is open to me as I walk out my front door.
What did I do yesterday in the torrential downpour?

I was OUTSIDE! Walking the streets of my neighborhood, getting drenched in the rain and hot wind, and loving every second of it. Laughing as I jumped through puddles in my slippery and squishy flip flops, drying off with the air dryer in the bathroom of Lincoln Center Plaza, watching everyone hurry by with their huge umbrellas, or standing underneath the construction beams that partially shielded them from the waterworks, seeing some couples improvise ponchos with plastic bags from Zabars, some who just chose to get drenched and walk like it was a sunny day through the streets of the upper west side, not a care in the world to the horizontal rain coming at them.

Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable and generally wet. Yes, I even bought socks (3 pairs for $15 at the gap) and put them on during the movie that I saw last evening, still in my damp dress in the seat. But overall, it was my kind of day, in my kind of town.

Everything within reach.
Especially the new Pinkberry that opened up across the street from me. Mmm..dangerous.
My gym, my favorite salad place, my proximity to the public library and the natural history museum, my block, my street...I've known this area for a long time and never felt like I really belong--as I was mostly couch hopping or running between one audition and the next. Now I get to come home, put the keys on the table, and know that if I need anything else, it's probably right around the corner.

No comments: