04 September, 2008

check out that package...

lolzzz.


O-Kay! I may have settled on the top 5 arias for this audition.
Hurrah.

I was looking for
-something that is a departure from the 'same old, same old'- meaning, high notes, coloratura, spunky character that is full of energy, cute, cunning, etc.
-something off the beaten path, but not too out there
-something that shows legato line but also doesn't compete with the lyric bel canto sound and, finally,
-something that is not a zillion minutes long (like most of my pieces)

So.

Durch- because Blondchen is awesome. It's mozart, it's line, it's high notes, it's coloratura, it's a great character acting piece, and it shows everything I want to show in a 'hire me now I've done this before and I'll do it again' kind of way.

Fee- because it has low, it has subtlety, it has beauty and a magical sparkle about it that draws the listener in because of course, they know the story of the magical fairy godmother that makes everything ok in the end. Beauty of line, a pianissimo high C, trills galore, and, hey, it got me a big job this year...so there must be SOMETHING about it that is special. It's a LITTLE off the beaten path, but what pretty/crazy/cool French piece isn't?

And the shocker of the evening, Italian- Handel, Alcina, but NOT Tornami.
Since I didn't want all 'olympias, oscars, norinas, blondchens, etc'..I think I'm going with a SLOW Handel, Morgana's last aria from Alcina.
I can ornament it beautifully, it's repertoire that I am very flexible and at ease with, and it WILL show the grown up, leading dramatic lady that I want it to show.
It was a close call between that and Presto Amiche, the added aria from Il Turco, and I will still learn both and have both ready in case I feel like adding some 'flare/sparkle' into the package at any point.

Rounded (?) out by Zerbie that pretty much just shows it all--
Slow, fast, high, low, German, acting, coloratura, legato, have I mentioned acting?

And, depending on the audition and the likelihood of new music being done, either,
The Tempest, or Glitter.

Oh yea, and depending on the pianist as well.

Hurrah.
All subject to change, of course, but I'm happy to have sung through the french and italian choices and to have trusted input about which ones were the best.

Feelin' good. Maybe it's those endorphins from the gym today. That or having an awesome coaching.

No comments: