20 August, 2006

scenes

This afternoon was the opera scenes performance for the studio artists.
As I said in my exit interview, I wish these scenes would have been assigned and coached earlier. Actually, they were assigned the second week, but they were not coached or staged until the week and a half leading up to the program today.
Now, if I would have been given an easier or shorter scene than letter aria and the two duets following it from Baby Doe, then I may not have felt so ill at ease.
I hate the feeling of knowing that I could do better in every way--vocal, dramatic, etc.- in an assigned piece of music if I just had a little more time. And that is what I felt today.

I listened to it afterwards on my minidisk. This must have been the first thing I've recorded since Queen in February, and maybe Lucia before that.

Oh, and my graduate recital in March.

Comments:
I didn't really know that that's how I sound. At least on lyric things.
I know in coloratura stuff it's just a lot easier, pingy, bright, clear, pointed (but in a good way).
In this lyric stuff I'm a bit more concerned with phrasing. I think that will be the key work of this upcoming year in terms of my work. It's not pitches that are under, it's that I'm not supporting through until the end of the phrase, or I'm overattacking the onset, and pushing into something that I don't need to- making things sound- dare I say it--pitchy? It's there, and then not there for a split second, and then it's fine again...and I can tell it's because of the breath or nonbreath that I took to get there, and also because I was only thinking of that one note- not what came after it, not how long it was, and not that I had to shape it.

I'm going to listen again now.
Oh the torture.
I guess I should start recording myself a LOT more often. Because to me, this isn't necessarily the sound that I want. I know I've been working on the middle. And it's stronger, more present, and round. And the top is always there...but in these pieces that aren't just coloratura I don'tknow if I just pushed today, or I was nervous, or was thinking about it too much,but it wasn't the sound that I thought I had on this.

hmmm
g

No comments: