25 March, 2008

countdown and clothing

Ok, so I officially need to know things.
And guess what? I DO know things!
The things that I know include ALL of the recits! And ALL of the ensemble-y things! And, of course, arias and duets.

The other things that I know are that I have a lot of clothes for every season, yet I somehow manage to wear the same few things for an entire season.
Except--why give away clothes that fit, look good, and are still stylish--JUST because I haven't worn them in a year? (or two?)

Being a full-time traveler/goddess of packing, I have my favorites for every season and every show.
Two pairs of jeans, two pairs of black pants, three pairs of capris depending on the weather, and an assortment of workout/yoga pants.

That's usually what I bring with me for a gig--however--I have ALSO a NICE pair of dressy grey, brown, and dark brown pants..as well as some OTHER nice black pants...as well as TONS of other workout clothes!
But why start bringing grey and brown into the picture? It will just make me need to pack more pairs of SHOES! Right?
Ok, so I haven't worn 4 pairs of pants in 2 years. Does that really mean I have to give them up? Or will they remain folded in the suitcase marked "Winter" until I have an actual closet to put them in one day?

Let's not get me started on jeans.
My current faves are flare dark 7s from a September Mall run. Except I recently bought 2 more pairs (that need to be shortened), PLUS I still have 2 other pairs of jeans that I bought in December (and completely forgot about because, they too, needed to be shortened)..NOT to mention the four or five pairs that have been my 'favorites' for the past 2 years! I LOVE jeans! But I can always only bring two pairs with me...I want to wear all of my jeans!!

Ok, so the bottom line is that I'm currently surrounded by clothing--on the floor, on my bed, in the closet-- with two open suitcases that are getting dangerously close to being over the weight-limit for checked items, and I want to pack so much more than I can--even though I know I'll keep wearing the same things.

One day when I'm a real adult living in a real apartment of my very own, maybe I'll have a closet that has room for all of my clothes and not just the ones that have conveniently been packed and re-packed for gigs in winter/spring, or summer, or fall/winter.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I knew you'd get it.

I don't travel like you do but even in "normal" travel situations I wish I could box up and ship a few more articles of clothing just in case - You gotta have a choice, right? :) Even if you never exercise that choice. But you're right, brown clothing would introduce the whole shoe problem, and shoes take up too much space. Too bad you can't wear more than one pair at a time when you fly.

You probably should unload the clothes you haven't worn in 2 years though...