07 December, 2007

new territory

Today I sang caro nome for the first time in an audition- possibly ever. Since learning the piece at age 17 or so.
Yes, I know, time for everyone to freak out and say my teacher should not have been giving me those pieces back when my technique was probably in shambles, bla bla bla....
she gave it to me because she knew I'd sing it in my voice, and that is what I did. And it was youthful and pretty and I learned no bad habits that I had to undo. Next.

So.
I offered this piece solely because there was a chance that this company was casting a cover or a B cast of the role next season.
Yes, I'll tailor my audition rep.- and go as far as OFFERING the piece for my 2nd. Never starting with it.

Well. After singing chacun it was a bit tough to come down and get grounded for caro nome.
But I still think I did it with style, class, my voice (which is NOT what the majority of American houses would cast a gilda as right now), and my sweetness to it.

I'm actually more surprised than anything--that it came out how I wanted.
I have coached this, done the mental thing with it where I get it in my thoughts and body (of course that went out the window as I was catching my breath from that final F and G of chacun and the excitement of the final salute!)...but I still think I represented myself well.
Outside the door ---a questions I NEVER ask, I asked.
The pianist- how was it.
The agent- how was it.

And both said good things.
NEVER. I NEVER ask this. Not because I don't want to know, but because I already know.
If I was sick, I wouldn't sing. Otherwise, it's a performance.

I just really didn't know on this one, because there is so much "public opinion" about the casting of a Gilda.
Can she sing the aria? Can she sing the duet? But can she sing the QUARTET and TRIO?
Yes. Yes,yes, yes, yes.
IN MY VOICE.
Not some darkened cavernous thing.
Not some light chirpy thing either.
Just me. Youthful and vibrant and my kind of Gilda.
In preparation for this I did some youtube-ing last night, and found that besides the "modern day"/current Gilda's, a majority of the recordings on there ARE of "lighter"..I don't even want to say that..."more silvery" voices of the past.

So I'll take it. The pendulum swings in different directions every few years. Right now it's for the rich, warm, dark Gilda. Same with Juliette. And Lucia.
Maybe one day it will be for the silver, sweet, bell-like version of those three roles.

Monday. 2 more.
Wednesday. One more.
That MAY be it for next week.
Then fly across the country. Then fly back for one/two more. Then fly far far away for a vacation in a new land.

No comments: