10 August, 2011

things I should be doing instead of being online all day long...

Since I made such good progress on opera1 memorizing, I felt the need to not do anything yesterday.
Actually, I did warm up for about 20 minutes and do a speed-sing-through of opera1 and opera2. Not paying attention to whether I made mistakes by double checking in the score. Just going on memory and seeing what came out.
And actually, it was pretty ok!

It has been a cold and rainy summer, and in between the downpour yesterday I did take a one hour walk and shockingly, listened to music OTHER than upcoming-operas.

Today is actually starting out sunny, so I MAY just try and take a walk sooner before the dark clouds roll in again.

The thing foremost on my mind right now? Trying to find a sublet for my next gig.
I want to be close to the opera house. But that means being downtown and paying a ridiculous corporate furnished housing fee of between 2500-3thousand dollars a month (I'll be there for 6 weeks).

Googlemaps SAYS that the theater is walk-able from another studio I saw on Craigslist that is a possibility for me-- but a friend of mine that lives in said city says I will NOT want to walk that every day (it's about 1.5 miles, maybe a bit more).
My other possibility is subletting at a friend's place- huge, gorgeous, grand piano-- but, a 15 minute walk to public transportation, a 15 minute subway ride, a 5 minute walk...multiply that by however many breaks we have during the day, and I'm pretty sure I'll start to hate the commute. HOWEVER- there is ANOTHER singer who will be there at the same time, VERY close by- and have a CAR!

What to do, what to do.
Bottom line is, I don't want to spend a lot of money on rent.
That is just silly.
But I also don't want to sleep on a FUTON for 6 weeks.
Decisions, decisions.

I still have time, and actually I DO have free options (not for the entire period) from friends and distant relatives...which makes me even LESS willing to spend a whole lot of cash on housing.

But I would obviously feel more 'settled' if I knew where I was going to 'settle' in 2.5 months.

No comments: