15 January, 2010

MLK tribute

I had the honor of taking part in an MLK tribute concert last night that was attended by King's sister and daughter and other family members! ALSO, there was a world premiere piece written by one of my FAVORITE jazz composers ever! And I was standing backstage right behind him while HIS piece was being played in public for the first time ever ! (and he was marking the score where it was too hard or too messy for the orchestra to play new orleans swing and early be-bop in classical stylings of course)!
Anyway, the piece that I sang was moving in words and music. I'm really glad that I had the chance to be a part of the whole thing, and really really really glad that current-opera agreed to release me for these three days to fly and do this concert.
This is usually a toughie, because, of course, you're being paid to be in rehearsal in ONE place, not two. But luckily, most everyone was understanding and after schedule management and flights checked out, it was done.
I am very thankful that it was, because the experience last night will be one to remember.
Back to rehearsal today- completely different mindset, and back to French comedy.
Just got in from the airport and have 2 hours until my costume fitting, followed by rehearsal for the rest of the day.

Trying to decide whether a nap would ruin me for the rest of the day, or make me feel better right now!

No comments: