07 May, 2012

two-fer

This past weekend I drove 4 hours to sing Koenigin der Nacht on Friday night, went to bed at 2am due to an overactive baby, woke up at 5am due to a hungry baby, drove 4 hours back home for a 2 hour 'nap'- which meant that I fed the baby and was up the whole time, then drove 2 more hours to my makeup call at 5:30 for my OTHER show on Saturday night. Sang the show (fed the baby at 7 shortly before curtain), and got in the car at 10pm, arrived home at midnight, FED THE BABY, and went to sleep.

I was a zombie on Sunday, but I did it! Weekend of "crazy" is over. I have to do it ONE more time in 2 weeks (2 shows in a row, this time the 2nd one is a matinee, so no naptime). How did this all happen smoothly? The husband.

He took off work for a day so he could do all the driving (ACTUALLY we requested an AUTOMATIC rental car, but when we got there they only had manuals left...and I only know how to drive a manual 'in theory'- never road-tested!). He took care of the baby when I wasn't there while at the same time having conference calls with his bosses in the UK and Spain. He brought the baby to the dressing room to eat, then took him back promptly so that no spitup would end up on my Koenigin constume! And then he got in the car late at night and drove home.

It's about a support system. No, I don't have a nanny. And no, my mom didn't fly in from across the ocean to help and neither did his. Maybe one day these are things I'll need to think about. But right now we are LUCKY to have the flexibility with his job combined with the weird demands of my schedule, and it's working.

THREE more weeks of shows, and then a trip back to the US, then 2 months 'off' where I need to learn 2 roles (one new one previously learned but never performed) and then work again in the late summer!
So far, so good. Healthwise I'd still love to lose a few more babyweight pounds/KILOS, but every sunny opportunity we have I'm walking between 4-5 miles with the stroller, and TOMORROW I'm starting Bikram again- after a YEAR off. Oh lords above please pray that I don't pass out like a fool in the first class.

No comments: