30 April, 2007

packing

Today I woke up at 7am, after falling asleep only at 3am, to bring my car in for its final oil change before the drive cross country that will take place in 13 days.

I then returned to my apt and fell asleep in my jeans and shirt and socks...in my bed.
Yes I was that tired.
I didn't even hear my roommate packing up her stuff and making a raucus with the tape, the dolly, the door slamming, the boxes, etc.

We both spent the rest of the day (once I woke up feeling HORRIBLE around noon) packing. For me- deciding how much stuff can fit in my car, and what I'll have to send Media Mail or Parcel Post back to the East Coast.

Packing this time isn't just typical packing, though, because I'm pretty much packing my stuff up and at the same time packing for a month in home-country and a month in Germany--all in ONE checked bag.
Yes. One. You read it.
I have to only take one checked bag, because I'll also be bringing a carry on for short term trips within europe..and I couldn't imagine myself alone at the airport with two huge rolling bags PLUS a carry on plus my purse plus my laptop and all of the wires that belong to it---trying to get into town.
Or anywhere for that matter.

So I have the carry on suitcase packed with what I'll wear for the next 13 days and then the drive and the next week, and the huge suitcase packed with what I think I'll wear this summer.
Mind you. Both are pretty full and I haven't even included SHOES! (or scores for competitions for that matter...or anything else besides clothes). This will certainly be an interesting packing experience.

The rest of my stuff: Boxes of books and scores, 2 boxes of kitchen stuff, a huge body bag of winter clothes (not kidding- biggest duffel bag ever), a trunk of winter jackets and coats, and another huge suitcase of clothes that didn't fit in the body bag.
My closets are empty except for the dresses and shoes.

What I hate packing is the small/random stuff like small clocks, some jewelry I haven't worn in over a year, the shoe rack, the dvd player...all of the wires to everything i-own :)

But in awesome news I did manage to sell my almost brand new furniture to a chick moving in upstairs... and she's giving me my asking price!!! AND we figured out how NOT to dis-assemble the bed frame so no screwdrivers necessary! Just a strong man/boy and her...and it's outta here!

I've learned this past year how NOT to be a packrat--which I usually am, as proven by the boxes that are currently in my parents' basement from high school and college with every binder, every paper, every textbook, my notes, programs from concerts I went to...etc.
This year I managed to keep the "paper" goods down to 2 drawers of filing cabinet! And that includes all my Tax papers!!

I still keep programs--but my daily schedule printout? NOT so necessary. Unless it was of course autographed by Ewa Podles or something..which it's not.

Ok, off to the sitz tonight...I'll bring my computer along since I don't come in for so long and I'm trying to be productive!

No comments: