27 April, 2007

the competition post

The first thing I do when I've been notified that I'm accepted to a competition: Open that .Word document that I typed up three to six months ago with the list of repertoire that I handed in..way back when...and see if I should update it, and more importantly, if I'm ALLOWED to update it.

< I really don't see what the big deal is about changing your repertoire if you give notice that you are changing it for a competition. I understand that the judges are not an audition panel that is used to this type of thing. I understand that they may be nice little guild ladies who don't know how to use email, and downloading a file with new rep. is foreign to them, and I'll even send it in the mail! Just let me change my rep. if I want to!!!


So. If it's 6 pieces I probably said:
Lakme, Queen, Glitter, Doll, O luce, and then either Durch Z or Zerbie--depending on how much I can google about the panel, or previous winners--and the "type" of competition- ie, opera guild, or big important people that want to give you a scholarship to sing in Germany...etc.

I always give myself an "easy" aria that I know no matter how I'm feeling will be great---for me that's the Doll or Queen (even though they're not my regular starting pieces).

This season I've been particularly anti-O luce. It's a show-piece for sure---but if I'm beginning with Lakme (my starter for competitions this year) it becomes a bit of a coloratura repetitive marathon after the first piece. So this month (actually, yesterday), I decided to change my replist for 2 upcoming competitions- deleting O luce, and adding Oscar. I know- who would think it's a competition piece? I don't necessarily even think so--HOWEVER- it shows Line, Italian, acting, it's different than every other piece I have, plus I'm singing the role next year--so what's wrong with a little practice now and then?

Now to the point. What to do when you KNOW that someone will sing the exact rep. as you, and PROBABLY their last name is earlier in the alphabet than yours, so they'll sing first..and they'll start with what you sing.

Well. This kind of happened to me last year, but it was when I was only TOYING with the idea of using Lakme as a starter. There is a sop. who has used this piece for starting in at least 4 competitions that I've been in with her for the past 2 years. And each time I did the Doll. And the thing is, no matter how many high G's or how well I can kick butt in the Doll, Lakme (no matter how well or not so perfectly sung--even with pitch issues in the first cadenza)---is hands down more vocally impressive.

So what to do this year, when I'm changing my mind and deciding to begin with Lakme- knowing the most probably there will be 2 Lakme's that day, and we'll both offer: Queen, Zerbinetta, and the difference will be our Italian pieces?

Well---nothing. Last year, before I had sung the role, I may have been a bit more hesitant to sing the aria...again- no one ever asks for it, so I don't get so much practice except in coachings...sometimes..when I'm not working on new stuff...to go through older rep. that's always "prepared".
But this year it's in my bones and more importantly my soul.
So- we'll sing the same thing, and we'll see what happens.

Even though it's a competition, it's not a competition against this specific singer. It's a competition to get as close as possible to the top X number of people that get awards or recognition--and if I DO get anything, it goes straight to the bank to makeup for the exhorbitantly expensive plane tickets, summer plans and travel, and this Spring's audition flights and trips so far.

I think last year I may have felt more intimidated about this, and changed my repertoire just so we didn't sing the same thing. So we'd be judged on our own merits and not measured up against each other.

It's a valid point. I mean, we may even BOTH be eliminated because it wasn't a "clear" decision of just one to advance. Sometimes, (I've been told), winners are selected because they were the ones that were least "fought" about by the judging panel.

The bottom line is that competitions are just weird. It's not like an audition where you know if you did well and THEN you didn't get hired, you at least know that you have a contact at a certain opera house who MAY remember, you, or that you could keep in touch with--because even though you weren't the best or perfect for what they wanted...you're still a great singer and you impressed.

I know of a singer who researches EXTENSIVELY about competitions. She actually makes a small salary off of it every year or two that's how good she is (of course she has a great voice too!) But some of the things she looks at:

Knowing who won last year (if it was her "type" of soprano, she's less likely to go).
Knowing how much you could win (if it's less than the cost of the travel there and the app. fee, she won't apply)
Knowing who the judges are (when there is ANYONE that she could possibly be affiliated with or know her, she'll do it, no matter where it is)
What the prizes are (if it's an opera role and that company is doing something the next year that she can sing, she'll go for it).

Where have I found out about most of my competitions? Well, reading many singer bios helps me get a feel for the "level" of competitions that I am going for. Two years ago was my first time around, and I did pretty well (entered 2, was a finalist and won)
Last year I could only do one, and I got 2nd.
And this year I'm hoping to do MANY (but I still haven't heard final notifications from a few).
Still, in the matter of 7 days, there is a possibility to sing in 4 competitions, in three different states.

Also- yaptracker. There are SO many local (to small cities, states, libraries, schools) competitions!!! And if you're anywhere within driving area I say- go for it!
For example, I'm doing a local competition (finals are this Saturday)---it's small, but it's a good name competition, and the top prize is 2thousand bucks...I'm one of FOUR finalists. ONE of us will win that much. Those are pretty good odds I say! Why NOT apply if I'm here and have the hour free?

And finally. It's all a big gamble, but if you're prepared, you have a cute dress, your arias are totally ready, and you've got charisma and stage presence--I always say that you can have as good a chance as anyone else if you can get in and do well.

Here's hopin'!

No comments: