17 April, 2007

feeeeedback, new arias, and craigslist

In backwards order:
I just put up all of my furniture for sale on Craigslist.
I HOPE someone wants it inthe next 20-odd days, or else, uhh, I don't know how I'm driving cross country with just my clothes and books!!

Had a coaching today and ended up talking about new Italian arias, and how most of my auditions it's easy to tell what the panel will choose 2nd, but many time I feel like they find it a problem with my "showy" coloratura arias.
They always ask for something legato.
HOWEVER in their haste to write off the "showy" arias, they forget that OVER half of Lakme is legato, OTHEr sections of Zerbie are legato, DURCH ZARTLICHKEIT is legato, and so are many many parts of other arias that I sing.
But I still get the feeling that they ask for Oscar to hear the low and legato, and O luce to SUFFEr through the rest of the aria after they hear the Italian recit.

So what can I do? Well, find a piece that will add some Italian legato--NOT like I avoid it!!! I just don't have a piece for a Lyric like Piangero or Pamina's aria that is ALL line and no coloratura.

My best pieces have legato AND some fireworks.
Frustrating, yes, but the truth.

So I think I found one from a not-so-often done, and very-recently-published opera/vocal score.

If I like it. Don't know yet.

And finally, feeeedback. I say that like somehow it quenches my hunger to know what someone thought of me.
Which it really doesn't. If it's relevant, it's relevant. If not, it was that day and their perception.
So today it was relevant. It was a "pleasure" for them to hear me, my top notes are "freakishly easy", bla bla bla..all things I already know so it's not really worth writing them here--but still nice to hear them coming from a person in the business that matters to my future possible hiring.

I DID think a lot about being asked to sing parts of 4 arias yesterday, and how I SHOULD have taken a water break.
Because even though I had a great audition, I should have felt comfortable enough to take a little break..but instead I felt like I'd break the flow of something if I stopped, so I just trucked along. And it was absolutely fine. But it would have maybe been MORE fine had I stopped for a breather between Glitter and Oscar!

And so I learn more and new things. When you're going to an opera house to sing for them, it's nothing like the NYC "factory" that is outside in the hallways filled with singers and managers. It's relaxed. They are on their home turf, and it seemed much more cordial and pleasant.

Of course, that also could have been because it was an 'agented audition'...hmm...
More to come with thoughts on that.

2 comments:

Barbara Norris said...

How about Vorrei spiegarvi, the Mozart concert aria? Wonderful slow section, ending with a brisk romp.

me said...

I've looked at that aria before---good suggestion! But I need to stick to more arias that are from operas...IF I could choose a concert aria to sing at all times it would definitely be the high G's in Popoli di Tessaglia! Thanks for the thoughts! :)