17 March, 2007

act iii roadblock

Act iii takes place in an 8x8 foot playing area meant to resemble a shack in the forest.
It is elevated from the main stage by about 10 inches, and while movement is tight and there are always at least two people (until daddy shows up to yell again) inside there, it's been a challenge to really give up the stage and take the stage in the short ariettas and duets that are found in that act.

But a matter of 2 steps can make a huge difference when the tenor is suddenly ending up singing his love duet upstage because YOU forgot to take 2 steps Down Left for him to turn and admire you.

I got another comment on being an "intelligent actress" today. In a good way- knowing what to do, what to motivate it to do--and then in a way as if to say- now we both know what you want to do, so just let it happen and don't "do" anything anymore.
I am sure I have a tendency in such a small space to want to do more with the "music". To motivate it, and decide on the moments where it motivates me and make them very strong.

But because it's such a "precious" playing area, it's reading a bit too strong. So I have to give up those thoughts and just go with what motivates me in the moment- not having the thought that I "KNOW" what that chord means and therefore I'll have a certain reaction or action.

I will take that comment well, as the director has repeatedly said that in our strange cast A/B situation he knows that once he sees me do it, it's convincing, and I have it, he is not worried about having to repeat it because he knows I'll find the right way anyway.

Cool.

In mild annoyances of the day, I can't sleep in general because I keep thinking about the time constraints of travel next week.
And what will happen if I don't make it.

Back to the roadblock. It's just very BUSY in that little 8x8 box and I feel like I'm thinking more about where I'm supposed to end up, than what my next line is.
I know, it's just one day after we staged it, but I still usually feel more comfortable about it than I do right now.

It'll be fine though.

2 comments:

Gregory said...

One wonders how you manage to sing so beautifully since your aria of choice seems to be "O Sleep Why Dost Thou Leave Me"....

me said...

Yes...one does wonder...
Although weekends are always used to catch up no matter how late I actually end up falling asleep!

Two more days until the insanity begins, and THREE until it's over!