06 March, 2011

the dotted line

No, nothing is signed yet, but in the past three days my schedule has filled up considerably- in a good way.
In the meantime, I have 15 more days until I depart for next-opera, and while I am feeling good about the score and my preparation, it's not perfect yet. And that is simply because it's freakin' impossible to count or play along AND sing it to 'practice' and see if I have it memorized.
It goes something like....
6/8, 16/8, 12/8, 3/4, 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 2/4, 16/8...
In the span of about 5 pages, at speeds of "stormy", "a little faster than before", "gradually getting more intense", "Urgently", "Ominous" and "FASTER".

Back to counting entrances. The thing is, the music is so easy- ie, the actual notes. It's literally the speed and changing meter that could drive someone batty. Those orchestra folks who get to actually LOOK at the music while they're playing are LUCKY in this case. It's not hard at ALL when you know the changes and can see them happening in the score. It's a whole different story when attempting to pull it out of your brain at warp speed.

No comments: