28 May, 2008

things i didn't do yet today

1. Look at the finale (it's only 8pm, there is still AMPLE time before my reruns of law and order begin)

Thaaat's pretty much it, for things that count.


Things that I DID do today include:

Seeing "Curtains", the who-dun-it murder mystery with Niles Frasier and the wife from Scrubs and Debra Monk and a lot of dancers that looked way too skinny onstage.

Musicals, for the most part, just put a smile on my face.
This one didn't have any great solos or memorable ensemble sings, but it was an entertaining afternoon of good acting, great choreography, the occasional pretty tune (sung, somewhat NOT in tune many times--ouch), and a lot of new-broadway belting.

Oh yes, belting. My other favorite past time (shhhh). The belt has definitely changed since I was singing the Narrator in Joseph, Annie, Adelaide and Sarah Brown, and any other number of leading ladies that I spent time with in high school.
Of course, I sang the legit roles too...but the belting girls are so much fun!

It's now all high and nasal and weird sounding--like a little girl on helium with no vibrato whatsoever and pretty much just two dynamics- forte or whisper/talk-on-pitch

I don't get it.
I mean, I can do it--mimic that I am--but
a. it sounds horrid- unless you're actually supposed to be playing a teenager or ditsy blond (ie, Wicked and Legally Blond) (these girls do it right- and thank you Kristin C., for using chest/mix AND head voice)

b. it hurts my throat to listen to some of this stuff remember...that just a few years back...there was a time when there was this nuance to the belt. You still had a bit of vibrato, you sang with an open throat and it really sounded powerful when you got to the high D or E because that was full voiced supported belting.
So, I still believe that maybe ...just maybe...there are musicals out there with really gorgeous legit broadway singing, not to mention SONGS that are worth googling and youtubing however many years later just to hear the beauty of line and voice. The clarity of the words, the simple melodies that you leave the theater humming.

Maybe the musical I'm writing and will one day finish will bring it all back old school style :)

No comments: