14 May, 2008

29 days

It was a beautiful day in the city.
70 degrees, sunny, and perfect for walking from the UWS to Soho.

So I did the 60ish blocks down broadway, and then did some work on next-score.
Here's what I find about recits (Mozart, NOT Rossini)--
I get it. I get the direction that it's going, and also the pattern...but after doing so much Rossini, I want those clues that he leaves for you, that Mozart doesn't.
Mozart's recits seem to travel well with the actual words, the interjections, etc.
But when you're doing it in English, you don't have those Italian word, sentence structure clues, so you just have to plain ole' memorize the pattern(s).

Today I sat down and banged through Act I. So now it's one step further than sight-reading Act I. I know 2.5 pages of recit ALMOST memorized, but there are SO SO SO many more in Act I, AND II.
I think I can sing (ish) through the Act comfortably- ie, knowing what comes next, but not 'knowing knowing' what comes next...like, I don't know the whole piece in my head and where it's leading and how many times I have to repeat a certain number of measures and a certain number of words. But I can turn the page and sing the right notes.

And, BY THE WAY, why are FINALES the BANE of my EXISTENCE!??
A hundred pages again?
COME ON!
Give a girl a break.
This one is deadly because of all of the little interjections.
I know, eventually this will all seem like child's play.
Consider this the first freakout entry about upcoming-role, which, if I go back through my blog record, I'm sure I have for EACH role that I've had to learn.

Ommmmm....
Zennnnnn....
Calmmmmm.....

No comments: