16 May, 2008

audition

Woke up at 8, warmed up from 9-9:30.
Hung outside the door from 10:03-11:40wheneveritwas that I sang..

Sang Zerb and they asked for Durch Z

Felt in general like it came out much better than anything did at my lesson yesterday.
There were some little things that, due to my 'state', don't happen and happened...meaning, breath things, beauty of things...
but overall, and esp. in durchZ, I think I gave a really good performance.

In the middle of the 2 verses I felt like I was getting so fed up w/trying to convince Osmin that he's a tool that I sighed, overtly annoyed at his inactions, or his crude actions.

See, when I'm 'in it' and 'feel it'...I think of nothing. Just what I'm supposed to be saying and doing onstage.
And those are the times when it is easiest to get anything out.
Including a damn nice E arpeggio down at the very end.

Can I please remember this?
Regardless of how miserable how I feel--that I'm still trying to 'be someone' that a composer and librettist and author wrote into a magical story set to music?


My accompanists always come out of my auditions and say..great job, you're so musical, etc.

I'm glad that I'm musical. I know that I am. I 'get' it.
What I need to work harder on is being musical combined with the overall beauty (not purity of tone...I don't manufacture anything)..just this consistent beautiful flow of air that sweeps from the beginning of the aria to the end mellifluously.

mmm, nice word.


I'm going to look into new rep. this summer if it kills me. I love my list, but...I just don't know how it's perceived.
Maybe I love it onstage, and not in auditions.

No, that's not true. I love it in auditions, too.

But I think something fresh and exciting could be great.

Already found what may be two possible new starting arias.
Maybe.

For now back to wallowing, advil, mint milanos, and emergen-C flavored water.

No comments: