19 August, 2007

in transit

(written friday night on the train, posted today, first day of internet-availability)

Sung to: If I were a rich man

If I had a treo
I could email email email email email all day long
On the train or bus I’d not study
If I had a crackberreeee

Wouldn’t have to work hard
I’d just email email email email email all day long
So much fun, and I’d be much more calm
If I had a wireless palm

I’d check my
gmail facebook
Hotmail and friendster
Right in the crowded subway
I’d never miss a thread or a blog entry
Refresh my hotmail, gmail, facebook and friendster
On this way long boring journey
If I had a palm PC

SMS my best friends
And I’d email email email email email all day long
Without paying fifteen cents a text
What’ll verizon charge for next?

I’d have a data bundle
I could email email email email email all day long
Birthday time is just around the bend
Iphone- you’ll be my new best friend.

-----------
What is it with me and the luck or should I say bad luck that I have with mass transit?
Last week rescheduling due to flooding = me walking numerous blocks from upper west to midtown east. Then everything rescheduled.
I had a choice to make today. Take the train or take the bus?
Train is more expensive, and I thought to myself as I exited singing2…I did a good job today and feel good about it. The train is worth that extra 40 bucks for the comfort, the non-bus-ness of it all, and so yes, let’s do it.
Walk outside- rain.
Takes 10 min. to get a cab (yet another luxury I decided upon since I was hauling a suitcase, scores, and my laptop), got out of the cab at 36th and jogged the rest of the way (it had stopped raining by then), but that didn’t stop the train from deciding to be an hour late.
Yes, I say deciding. The ACELAS were running, why couldn’t the regional trains run?
Yes, answer me THAT Amtrak!

So I sat on the probably really really dirty floor of Penn station for an hour, looking at my score, looking up at the board every 5 minutes to see 45 minute delay turn into 55 and then an hour and 5 minutes.

It’s ok though.
What can I do?
Nothing.
I can’t complain, I can’t change my tickets to the sold out and 300 dollar Acelas, I can’t run with all of my stuff up the couple of blocks to Port Authority and try to get on the hourly bus—because, hey, that’s in rush hour traffic and who knows when that would get where I want it to get.
I can’t go to Chinatown with my stuff- I mean, I really was soaked and not about to head anywhere around 5 pm on the Subway.

So. I waited patiently and reflected on the past two days.
Singing2 was really fun. I sang a song that I usually teach to my high schoolers, and actually sang myself in high school. And began with a new, yet upcoming aria as well- which was fun practice, as it is mostly asked for as a 2nd or 3rd piece.

AND I had a new audition dress which I’m happy with…except for the excessive sweating from the excessive heat. JEEZ now I remember why I’ve always worn a black top.
Ha.


On the train now, maybe we’ll move, maybe we’ll get there.
The important thing is there is nothing for me to rush to, rush from, or be concerned about getting to except somewhere to sleep for the night.

1 comment:

Evil Baritone said...

Ha! I love the Fiddler spoof! Thanks for the laugh today. :-)