06 August, 2007

addendum

Ok, Brooklyn, since you have satisfied this evening's craving for cheap sushi, you are off the hook.

In upcoming musical things--an important upcoming musical thing.

But before that, a lesson with my very first voice teacher, and the one I'd consider my only teacher, really.
I'm always excited to see her, as it's not often that I get a chance to come back and have a lesson.
She is the one that gave me my first aria.
While I wanted to be the next broadway legit legend, she had to go a put some Puccini in front of me and change my life forever.

With her it's less about what I learn that specific lesson, and more about the whole journey. Yes, the one that began at 15.
Do I still have that sparkle of excitement in my eyes even during the warm up?
Do I still know and execute everything with freedom and ease?
Do I remember that this is all about the emotional communication of a language?

And all of the other questions and thoughts that are sometimes the farthest thing from what we do when we're in the process or on the stage.

It's good to have that someone to trust, who will always be completely honest, who will never let you get away with anything, and who truly wants you to succeed.

No comments: