06 December, 2007

oh, really?

Feedback from today: Best audition yet.
How I felt:
Well- in the morning SO crappy due to previously mentioned issues, but 2 advils quickly relieved that (I know, it's bad for singers..bla bla bla...I had 3 hours before I had to sing...)

Warming up- ugh- what is that CRAP in my throat? Oh yea-it's everything in my body including my vocal folds feeling mucky and generally thick...DUE TO previously mentioned ISSUES!

Walking to audition with a Halls in my mouth- a bit better.

Getting to audition and hanging out there for about 30 minutes (the usual, I show up early)...
better than usual, as NOLA was not an insane asylum of singers today.

Audition:
Chacun- good top g, down to the bottom. I definitely felt more open/resonant (due to previous coaching) on the low and middle. Is this what they mean when they say that I have a bright sound and that I need to "round it out"? Just get the middle moving a bit more warmly and that's it?

Then Glitter from the 2nd verse- great. I was into it. Frankly, I can't say enough how much I love this piece.
It's just me to a T. I get to be silly. I get to be serious, sarcastic, crazy, sad, depressed, whiny, sexy, and everything in between. All in 7 minutes of awesome music.

So I walked out like any normal audition, but the feedback was that it was the best yet.

Hmm, so what were the other ones?
And should I ALWAYS sing for people between the 3rd and 8th of the month (give or take 3 days before and after depending on what I eat, how much exercise I get, and what evil tricks my biological system is up to that month)?

Lunch with a friend- talked shop. About how much these auditions actually mean NOTHING because yay, you got an audition. That doesn't mean a job and that doesn't mean anything, really. You give it the best you have and you still may not be their choice.
And that has to be ok.
Except when it's not.

Dinner with 3 more friends. At least singing wasn't the main focus of conversation. Life, love, and other thoughts ..and then auditions.

I do love auditions. And I'm pretty realistic about them in terms of that translating into a job, this, my "first year" "out".

No comments: