17 December, 2007

5 days?

That's pretty inexcusable--except--I have a good excuse.
I didn't bring my computer to LA, and I don't have it here in NY. Yes, I'm typing NOT on a mac, but on a PC (best friend's pc in Bklyn, while she studies for her Law school finals exams).
The review:
Flight- uneventful.
Staying at little bro's apt in Brentwood- jealous of his "real life" and me living out of a suitcase.
Audition- OOOOH I'll go into this one below.
Flight- windy, didn't sleep on the red-eye, and now it's the next day and I'm in bed downing tea, water, and hoping that in 22 hours I'll be able to sing pretty as pie for my audition.

BACK to audition.
I showed up early (as always) and had time to warm up as well as listen to a few singers before me.
Since I showed up SO early, they were able to take me early.
This is a lesson to myself and maybe the two other people who read this.

It's not enough to say "I'm offering Zerbinetta, are you comfortable with that" and believe the "I can do it" response.
You MUST ask "have you played this before and do you need me to set tempi with you" and ONLY proceed with the aria if that answer is "Yes, I've coached it and played it and memorized it and can follow you to a T".

Because otherwise, (if you're not in NYC and it's not 2007 and a "standard" aria here on the EAST coast), you will be singing Zerbinetta while the notes under you are:
a. in another key
b. in another tempo
c. in seemingly NO tempo when it comes to the runs
d. all of the above.

So- I SANG a great Zerbinetta.
What the panel actually heard was the right vocal notes with tons and tons of piano mistakes, over and over again, with someone who obviously assumed they wouldn't ask for it, and then had to sight read the piece after biting off more than they could chew, and not giving into their humility by saying, no, I'm not comfortable with that piece, do you have another German aria to offer...(YES, I HAVE THREE!).

Then they asked for Oscar and that went fine--except there were STILL a few flubs at the piano--which leads me to believe (and from what I heard before and after me) that it was just either an off day for the provided accompanist, or it was terrible all around and that's just who they had playing.

Now, I learned my lesson a few years ago, when Zerbie wasn't high on the list of pieces that accompanists actually knew and played a lot at auditions in NY. I never came to an audition without my own pianist, or at least someone whom I had called and verified had played the piece many many many times before.
But hello- I'm on the other side of America, the COMPANY supplied a pianist (not just someone from around the corner, but someone ON staff there)...and you'd think..well, you'd just think.
So I thought wrong.

I don't know if there was anything different I should have done in the situation.
When the wrong key and wrong tempo started (about 5 measures in) should I have stopped and said- maybe we need time to make this more of an ensemble- could I sing QOTN or DurchZ for you instead? Or something? Or do I just grin and bear it like I did and go through the entire thing just doing my thing and singing through whatever was underneath me?

Do I assume the panel knew I was singing correctly and the playing was wrong?
THEY asked for the piece, so you'd assume they know it..??
Their faces weren't twisted in dismay afterwards..they were actually quite pleased (seemingly)--but is that crazy? I mean, it's kind of sad for ALL of the singers who couldn't "do" their best because while they were singing, the KEY was wrong!
(Yes, two of my friends were there and offered mainstream rep. and still had mess ups with tempi and KEY SIGNATURES)...I think that's unfair to the singer, unfair to the panel, and just not conducive to a good working environment for anyone to be judged in.

OH WELL. It's over. I find out the results maybe in the next week- but I'm truly not expecting anything.
And if I DO get a call- is it because I sang "through" it?
And if I DON"T get a call- is it also because I sang through it?

SO- a lesson for me, (and the 2 other people who read this if you're sopranos that sing Zerbie)- don't ever assume that outside of NYC anyone can play this piece even if you ask them if they can and they say yes!

No comments: