29 October, 2007

shaping up.

The whole show is staged as of this afternoon, and I think I've come up with my new challenge for this show.
As I said before, vocally, it's not very tough. I've sung Aria1 many a time for auditions, I've had scenes of Duet1, and I have basically just been listening to this show for a while because I love it.

So- new challenge of current-show:
Comedic timing with a partner.

Now, I'm funny- if I do say so myself.
I sing a mean Glitter, know how to milk comic arias, and have generally not had to try so hard because being obnoxious or silly comes...well, naturally.

Add a partner, add lines that fly by, patter, chatter, duets, jumping on benches, running in and out of doorways, slamming windows, timing a slap, and that's where I am right now.

Surrounded by "moves" that I have to make natural every night, despite the ENTIRE cast's inclination to completely ad lib it--making us constantly break out in hysterics.

It has to be fast, smart, funny.
In between being breathless from chasing people around the stage, and oh, yea, singing pretty too.

I think I'll begin settling into my nightly ritual of running things in my head.
That's how I usually learn music, staging, dialog, and anything else.
Before I go to sleep, I run through the whole thing in my head.
Stopping where I'm not sure. Going back, and figuring out the flow of the entire performance.
I find that it really helps my concentration, let's me settle a bit before nodding off to sleep, and I wake up the next day "magically" knowing things that I haven't really worked on.
Ah, the sub/un/conscious mind--it's a beautiful thing.

No comments: