25 October, 2007

in a tizzy

the forum is aflutter with the usual audition season posts:

Did anyone here from?
Can I switch auditions times?
Why did I waste my money on them?
Is there an accompanist available?

It's interesting to read these posts from the perspective of a currently working singer.
On one hand, I wish that I was in NY doing auditions so that I can get work for NEXT year!
On the other hand, I'm being paid to sing a role right now that I've been dying to do for a long long time, that will show houses that my role experience is now rounded out with another "biggie" in the repertoire, and I'm having a lot of fun!

I know that when I get back in a few weeks I'll be auditioning a lot (or, at least- I'm hoping that is the case- a lot is still tba as far as I know, plus I'm not the one really setting up mainstage auditions for myself anymore).

So what I'm feeling right now is a bit of separation anxiety for not being in NYC, trying to find out about those last minute auditions, calling up pianists early, rehearsing repertoire, commiserating with fellow singers over the occasional Magnolia cupcake, and wandering around the Upper West Side in between auditions and coachings.

Things here have been going really well.
We had one CRAZY rehearsal last night that was supposed to be a staging of the quartet. It's turning out to be a choreographing of the quartet. We are ALL over the place. And with the blocking, added to the fact that the quartet goes on for about 20 pages and has about 20 words in it, you know that was a recipe for disaster.
Whenever we would stop, we had no idea where we were starting again in the music, I came in early on a line once, it was on the verge of the hysterical.
But that is what happens, and now it's in my head a bit more after a good night's sleep. SO next time, although I'm sure it won't be perfect, I'll at least remember what the next move is supposed to be as well as what the words and notes coming out of my mouth are supposed to be.

The show in general is an easy sing for me.
Two arias that are easy and fun- and depending on how they get staged, could be breathless with stage business.
The challenge is the dialog, the comedic timing, and making it believable to break the fourth wall and also experience things truthfully as the character.

More on character another day.
It's time for breakfast and maybe working out. I'm 2 for 3. I SHOULD do it today.
Really I should.

No comments: