13 August, 2006

business issues

I've drafted all of the thank you notes/emails that I'd like to send, and am polling some other singers right now about whether/what format to send them.
Here is my view.

We are already at a program this summer, which already distinguished us from the "masses" of general NY auditions in December (which I would NOT write thank-you notes for unless I had a great audition and they talked to me a lot after it). These people came here specifically to see their artists that they represent (if they're management companies), or to see a certain production, or to have a mini-session with the young artists here.

They also happened to get an audition session with us for 5-7 minutes. There was no real conversation, there was no real feedback, but I sang well at all of the auditions. Is it NOT a good idea to send them a card or an email saying- thank you for taking an interest in the careers of young artists here, and for hearing us at the short auditions--I hope to sing for you again in the future...etc. etc.?

I mean, is that really an inconvenience or a wrong thing to do?

I don't think it's TOO much of sucking up.
I'm being honest. I appreciate that they dragged their butts all the way out here to hear 27 artists for 5 minutes each, they went to a concert or the opera, and then went on their way. I appreciate that I am now in their "files", and that maybe I'll get a chance to sing for them again in the future. I'm not expecting a job (although two people have gotten called for outreach from one company), they saw on my resume where I'm going next year, I'd just like to be polite and say thank you, and if you have any feedback I'd be very appreciative to hear it.

The second issue is whether to send emails or real handwritten letters. Now, there are two companies here who are really big and I'd like to continue to be in touch with in the future who I don't want to mess anything up with by sending them an email which they may think is impersonal as they have only met me in an audition for 5 minutes....OR by sending them a handwritten note which has to go through 3 administrative assistants before it gets to them on their desk..and then they have to answer me by email which turned out to be their preferred method of communication anyway.

Therein lies the problem.
I could "find out" their emails because people here know them personally and know how to get in touch with them, but the company websites don't list direct emails for them, and only give their mailing addresses.

I know that I impressed one v.i.p. and I'd like to stay in touch with them and make sure that they know about what I'm doing. And their email address is not public, but there are people here who know it.
I also know at that same audition someone from a big house with a big YAP residency program was also impressed...and I would again, like to say thank you ...especially since they both sat down and had a Q&A session with the artists here after the auditions.

So, that's it.
I think it's old-school mail for those two.

g

2 comments:

ACB said...

I agree with BF. Write as many thank you notes as you want; they are never (well, maybe rarely) looked at as "sucking up" or ingenuous. Assuming that you write a good note!

Just keep it short: remind them what aria(s) you sang, say thank you and say that you hope to sing for them again. That's enough. All that matters here is getting your name in front of their eyes one more time.

Email is absolutely fine, even for bigger companies. For better or worse, it's the communication medium of choice these days. Take advantage of the ease!

But, just as with an audition, once you send the notes, forget about them. If you hear something, Great! If not, it means nothing.

Good luck this weekend!

me said...

thanks- both :)
I did write mostly email notes in the end...and it's out of sight out of mind for right now.

g