06 July, 2012

adventures on the ICE train

Hello again friends,
You thought I was on summer break, but I had a day that was just too good not to share.
Warning: post about boobs, milk pumping and opera-mom issues ahead.

So I had an audition yesterday that required me to take a train for 4 hours to another country.
The night before went something like this:
7pm- first attempted bed time. Baby wakes up after 20 minutes, crying and inconsolable unless picked up and held.
8pm- 2nd attempted bed time. See above, only this time it lasted until 11:07pm
Finally feed and get to bed- 1am feeding, 2am loses the pacifier and wakes up, 3am feeding, and my alarm goes off at 5am.
Shower, do my hair, get in comfy clothes and bring the audition clothes ready for my long train ride during which I can hopefully sleep.

Also, did I mention, bring my hand pump?
Yea--- 9am in the ICE train bathroom was the first batch. Pumping on a moving train in a gross tiny bathroom- totally not my idea of fun times.

Arrive at the opera house at 11, warm up, sing audition at 12, pump again before I leave (this time in the NICE bathroom within a private warm-up room at the opera house), and then get BACK on a 4 hour train to arrive home 13 hours later at 6pm.

Oh, the audition? Yea, it went really really really well. Helps when you're singing one of your all-time favorite arias for consideration for that same role.
Too bad all the other sopranos were ALSO singing said aria- how DO these panels ever choose?
Is there just one clear OBVIOUS yes? Or is there ever fighting?
Well I like that voice, but SHE acted better, but SHE lives in Europe, but SHE etc. etc. etc.

Aaanyway, I'm glad that I had the audition and the chance to feel like I'm kicking some booty in my summer of music-learning!

End of mommy-boob-tales.

No comments: