23 September, 2007

another opening, another show

I don't know why I'm up so early after going to bed so late and after having so much post-show energy.
But I'm up. So I shall post.
Fasting and then doing a show was not as hard as I thought it would be. I broke early and made sure I got something in me before my call to hair and makeup. But I still feel like I atoned and got hopefully sealed in the book of life!

Show.
I'm thinking back to around May and June when I was posting about how I'm looking at this score every day, and somehow those first 30 pages just "stick" in my head without me having to really memorize it.
And then around August when those last few recits were just not cooperating in my head just up until the last few days before leaving for the gig.
And then the rehearsal period where everything seemed to mesh together and go so smoothly that I was just kind of waiting for something to explode.

But- nothing exploded. Everything was there in that magical "I'm in your head" kind of way.
It still freaks me out every time though.

When I haven't sat down and run lines, typed them out over and over, do speed-throughs every night in my head before going to sleep.
When it's just magically- there- from understanding it, getting it into your body, I am always scared that it will betray me.
But it doesn't. And it didn't.

So.
Happy to report that things were actually pretty awesome.
And by pretty awesome I mean really awesome.
Tempo of aria one was a bit slower than usual in the B section- a conductor's choice or feeling out there--but it was still absolutely easy and fine.
Ensembles were fun. I felt like I was ringing out over the din of lower voices plus the horn section!
Aria two actually got applause after it! YAY! I got to stop the chorus from coming in on the right beat! HA. My songs usually just go right on into the next batch of music and chorus (not like the dramatic/tragic characters in the show who get fermatas after their big cadenzas).

Nerves- a bit for the 5 minutes before my first entrance. And then I just wanted to have fun. And did.
A few unexpected extra "fights" and "physical acting" occurred- as total mistakes (once when I'm thrown off of someone else's back, once when I almost got sucker punched for real and not for fake), but I rolled with the "punches" and took it "like a man". (man/boy). And it was great fun.

After aria 2 I knew it was in the bag, and was already looking forward to the after-party glass o' red wine that I so richly deserved.

Afterwards I got as girly and dressy as I could in new dress o' hawtness (I'm talking seriously hot- backless low cut numbah), talked with the future-possible-company that came to see me, (they were tres tres impressed), and came home around 1:30am with too much energy and really hungry as well.

Basta.
I'm looking forward to the rest of the run, because I do have to admit this show is just plain good times.

No comments: