31 July, 2007

more running around ny and crazy cabs

I know it may SEEM like I'm rolling in dough and that I take cabs all over NY, but that's really not true. Sometimes in Midtown to get from one place to the next I treat myself simply because walking to the nearest 1 or A train would entail about 1/3 of the distance I have to travel anyway (and with a carry on suitcase and my laptop in tow that's not so comfy in 90 degree weather).

So. I hailed another cab today. 40 minutes before my audition to go 20 blocks south. That's right- 20 blocks. Weellll, it was down Broadway, but still---20blocks!!! And it took until the last 5 minutes before the audition (plus me running from 47th to 43rd since I just decided to get out and make a run for it after being stuck at the same light for the third time in a row).

Ok, enough about traffic.
The audition went really well, and I'm pretty proud of myself for putting together an aria over this past month with no access to a piano, and no previous coaching except for yesterday's 30 minutes on it.

The first aria rocked...as usual...as it is my favorite thing to sing/act.
And the new one made a very good showing. I felt like I really nailed the high floats, had a lot of movement and legato and varied dynamics, good dramatic energy, and next time I will count just a little bit less in my head and let the music take me just a little more.

Upcoming post that I'm thinking about is: What is my starting aria for this year?
I know what I WANT it to be, but it's about 12 minutes too long.

No comments: